Monday, September 27, 2010

These Are The Vistas

The Balinese countryside is stunning. I spent a fair bit of time on the back of a motorbike this weekend as Nenga and I tried to hunt down some scrap metal to fashion into a briquetter for the charcoal we made.











I was completely shocked by how magnificent Bali is. And so big and spacious. I think my sense of scale and size is completely skewed (for islands anyway) from growing up in Singapore (how do they fit all this stuff...on an island??).

I'm surprised how beautiful rice fields can be. I imagined them as the kind of thing I'd shake my fist at and curse people for ruining the landscape, but they're just so small and well arranged and green. People wade in them and work all day. They have a certain honesty to them, you know?











It made me wonder if farmers wake up to their rice fields, that spread from around their house to the place where they meet groves of trees, and see beauty, or do they wake up to their rice fields and see a day of back breaking work?











I clumsily shot a stack of photos from the back of the motorbike while speeding through the countryside. Some turned out okay.











People here are big into kites. Everywhere I went, I would see a sky full of them. It doesn't look so good in pictures, but it's amazing to see in person.

No comments: