Friday, October 23, 2015

The papoose has landed


Good day gentle reader, it's me, sausage!*
And the news around town is that the times, they are a-changin.


So I've recently been working in a field where it's very important and useful to created complete and detailed document my work and process, since a lot of it isn't as immediately self-evident as in other industries or jobs. I decided that it's well worth my time to apply this principle to the greater scope of life; I don't think we ever overestimate how hard it is to track and measure our own personal development. This will be as much for my own posterity and reference as for your reading pleasure.
-
So, as it's been awhile, let me start us off here with a (very condensed version of a) story to fill you in. Barely two years ago, I moved to Munich from Ghana. For some time after that, I was unhappy with this decision. I'd screwed things up with my long time partner and love of my life, moved to be closer to someone who broke up with my very shortly after my arrival, and didn't treat me very well after that.
-
Here I was, in the most conservative of the larger German cities, studying a (in the words of a Kommilitonin) hell-boring master program in an education system that astounds me in its conservatism and rigidity, for a nation of such economic power (then again, mostly tech exports rather than culture). I asked myself daily, what the hell am I doing here?
-
And then life got weird, life got good. I never imagined I'd feel at home here in the Landeshauptdorf, but here I am.
-
I've been spending a lot of time on the excellent people in my life, near and far away, people who I've newly met and people who I've known forever and people I've found again. I put some work into projects and latent and manifest interests, and I started investing more time into figuring out what is important to me, what I want to spend me time on and what I want the future to look like.
-
In the coming times, I will muse out loud about topics such as
-
Growing up
Work
Practically applied ethics (a la Peter Singer)
Climbing
Personal relationships
The Blues
City and transportation design
Politics?
-
And whatever else I might find that I spend a lot of time and fire a lot of neurons on, things that are important to me and things I think are important to the world.
-
Along the way, maybe a trick or two that I've learned: tricks for the kitchen, furniture modification engineering, maybe a tip or two for linux and solaris users, and maybe in a few years, for guitar- and bicycle frame- builders?
-
I've really enjoyed the beating-heart aspect of the blog to date, and I intend to keep that, but maybe to sneak in an easter egg or two on the side for the interested and concerned reader.

I'm excited, and I hope you are too. Let's see what's to come. In the meantime, I wish you sunny days, good times and wild dreams.

Ride hard, live large, and be dangerous, it's careful out there.


-


*this is a corruption of a German Spruch. I promise you many more of these (:

No comments: