Monday, March 14, 2011

A musing

A few things I'm thinking about:


1. The forecasts for tomorrow get as high as 49 (120 for the uncivilised) depending on the station. That's really hot. I think my beets are dying.

2. Having no water is much worse than having no electricity. It's the classic water-and-diamonds economics lesson, except that electricity is a much more water-like good than diamonds. Thank god the electricity is back and we've still got a few drops of water in the tank (the supply has stopped).

3. I seem to find myself in very news-isolated places. I found out about the Jogjakarta volcano eruption via an email and the Sendai earthquake via a gchat.

4. That said, I think we're missing the point about the recent disaster. Read (also in my reader feed). In contrast, the 2010 Haiti quake was 2 magnitudes (1000x) smaller, but killed 300,000++

5. I've been making (and enjoying) my own kimchi / sauerkraut. It's quick and easy: about the same amount of time to make fried cabbage. Also, every statistically long-living people eats some kind of lacto-fermented food.



Stand by for a blog (soon, with pictures) about life, work and happenings.

No comments: